The History of the John & Clara Merchant House
Original Draft Sketch from 1869Woodward's National Architect Home Catalog
This property was originally part of a large plot of farmland within Jefferson Township owned by businessman, farmer, and Cook County Sheriff John Gray. Gray began developing his land as "Grayland" which bordered another development known as Irving Park.
When the settlement of Grayland was being subdivided in 1872, John Gray deeded portions of the land to his children.